teach. - The First Week, Thank you, Technology

The first week of school has come to a close. A lot of changes have taken place this school year. Our school has implemented PBIS, and I feel it's working beautifully. Hallway and dismissal behavior has drastically improved. Students are working hard for their Mustang Bucks. I hope the enthusiasm continues.

This school year, I'm doing full inclusion in grades 2-5. In the beginning, I was a little nervous and apprehensive about the change due to past experiences at my previous school. I've been reminding myself to stay positive and make the best of it. I'm really going to miss having the flexibility and freedom of having students in my own classroom for reading instruction. But, I'm also excited to try a few new things. 


New thing one - technology based anchor charts


I LOVE anchor charts! I love interactive anchor charts! When I first heard inclusion, I heard, "NO MORE ANCHOR CHARTS!" It was heartbreaking. So, I started thinking, how can I make anchor charts interactive with my reading groups without carrying around a huge pad of anchor paper and markers? How can I create interactive anchor charts in the inclusion setting without disrupting independent readers and other guided reading groups? How can I make anchor charts accessible to students when they need them in the inclusion setting?


The answer to my anchor chart dilemma...iPads! (We are a one-to-one school.) I'm going to create the outline for my anchor charts  using Google Docs or Microsoft Word. Then, I'll save them as a pdf file in Google Drive. From Google Drive, I'll open the document in Notability (for interactive charts). From here, I can add in student responses, share the document to a Showbie assignment for each reading group, and students will always have access to all the charts. As I get braver, I can upload the document to Showbie and students can complete the anchor charts with me. 


Here's what the file looks like in Notability:

Students could start a folder in Notability and keep all anchor charts here, as well. 
Here's what the Showbie assignment folder looks like:


Here they could complete the chart with me, or it would be completed for them and then uploaded.
Next week, will be my first attempt at this. I'll post a reflection once we've used it a few times. 

New thing two - Google Forms for general education accommodation documentation


Every year, I've printed IEP accommodations for every student, tracked down every teacher, had every teacher sign and date the accommodations page, then made copies for my own notebook for documentation. It takes for ever, and who has forever at the beginning of the school year? No teacher ever.


This year, I created groups for each grade level in Enrich, ran a report for accommodations, printed the accommodations, and organized them into folders which were put in the appropriate teacher's mailbox. Then, I emailed a google form. I create two Google Forms. One form for classroom teachers and one form for related teachers. Once teachers complete a form, I have electronic documentation. It saves paper, therefore, it saves trees. Also, I can print if I need to. 


Here's what the form looks like.


This worked VERY well. I got responses within the work day, and no one had to track anyone down. Google Forms is a great time saver. I'll do another post on how I used Google Forms for annual review IEPs last year...it was an amazing tool and so much easier for everyone involved!

I have more new things, but I want to keep this short and sweet. I'll continue to share my technology ventures and ideas through similar blog posts. 


Overall, the week has been a success. It has been wonderful seeing the smiling faces (new and old) and the enthusiasm for learning. I'll leave you with a highlight from my Friday.


Boy student (to me and another girl student): My favorite song is Precious by me. In his singing voice while looking at the girl next to him, "Hey. What's your name? Precious because we have the same hair color."


Girl student (who received the serenade): My dad told me I'm too young to have a boyfriend. 


Boy student: That's ok. Even if you had a boyfriend, I'd still call you precious because we have the same hair color. 


HAPPY FRIDAY, FOLKS.

Comments

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts

teach. pray. - Dear Betsy DeVos

pray. - Forgiveness

run. pray. - Grieve & Then Soar