teach. pray. - Dear Betsy DeVos

Dear Betsy DeVos,

Congratulations on your victory. You have been handed a huge responsibility. Your mammoth contributions may have won you the title of Secretary of Education, but I promise, you have not won the battle - not by a long shot. As a matter of fact, I'm quite certain the current administration and yourself have underestimated the fight public education school teachers have within themselves when they feel a threat to "their kids."

I've been a special education teacher in public schools for eight years. I have always taught in title 1 schools. I'm not sure you know what title 1 schools are, so let me break it down for you. Title 1 schools are given federal funds in order to serve a large low-income student population. These funds are used toward technology, books for students, extra faculty to reduce class sizes, basic school supplies, programs that enhance student growth and achievement, professional development opportunities for teachers, individualized programs for students, and the list goes on. 

Students who walk through the doors of title 1 schools are different. Most students who walk through the doors of this title 1 school are hungry, because the last hot meal they ate was at the school lunch table the day before. Most students who walk through the doors of this title 1 school are caretakers of their siblings, because their parents have either made poor choices (which is no fault of the child) or because their parents work multiple jobs in order to pay the enrollment fees, lunch fees, water bills, electric bills, gas bills. Most students who walk through the doors of this title 1 school have never been more than 10-15 miles outside their small town because their parents can only afford enough gas to get to and from work each day, or their parents can't afford a car. Most students who walk through the doors of this title 1 school are wearing clothes that do not fit because they only own hand me downs or because their parents can't afford new ones. Most students who walk through the doors of this title 1 school are depressed and deprived of human affection and nourishment. Most students who walk through the doors of this title 1 school are in survival mode because living in the streets or in abandoned homes or in foster care is their life. Most of the students who enter the doors of this title 1 school are not sure if they'll be returning to a home when they leave the doors of this school. None of the students who walk through the doors of this title 1 school were born into multi-billionaire families, and their education shouldn't be compromised because of it.

Teachers who teach in these title 1 schools, or any public school for that matter, are different. Most teachers have food stashed away in their classrooms to give to those who come in hungry. Most teachers have extra food in their lunch boxes to give to the student who doesn't have food at home. Most teachers pay hundreds of dollars, out of their shallow pockets, on basic school supplies so every child has what they need to learn. Most teachers pay field trip fees and technology fees for students who can't afford them. Most teachers donate their own children's clothes or beg friends and family for donations in order to provide essential clothing for those kids who do not have a winter coat or a decent pair of shoes. Most teachers bring in toothpaste and deodorant and teach their students about personal hygiene because some students just don't get that at home. Most teachers sit next to students who haven't bathed in days and act as if the stench isn't noticeable because the child's self worth is worth it. Most teachers have an extra pair of clothes in the office for the kids who don't have running water so their personal clothes can be washed in the washing machine at school. Most teachers spend their evenings, weekends, and summers planning, reading, and thinking about their work. No teacher I have ever met, within the walls of a public school, was born into a multi-billionaire family, and their career's future shouldn't be compromised by one. 

My family worked hard to pay for my undergraduate education. I worked hard to pay for my graduate school. I put in the sweat and tears and heartache and passion for five years in a title 1 school in a critical needs area to have my $17,500 worth of student loan debt forgiven. I promise there are many reasons why the burn-out rate of special education teachers is 3 years or less and why most individuals entering the field of education leave within 5 years. Little do most members of society know but a typical work day for a teacher does not start at 8 a.m. and end at 3 p.m. Little do most members of society know that teachers do not get a full 20 minutes to each their lunch (what's a lunch break). Little do most members of society know teachers can not go to the bathroom whenever they need to. Little do most members of society know a teacher can't just call in sick - sub plans must be done, safety plans be done (in case of a fire, tornado, earthquake, or an intruder), duties must be covered, meetings must be rescheduled, classroom expectations must be listed, student IEP accommodations or behavior intervention plans must be provided. 

Mrs. DeVos, I completed a Master's degree (plus 30 extra hours), paid hundreds of dollars on required exams, passed the required exams, completed over 100 hours of professional development to maintain my certification, sat in (and still sit in) professional developments for add on endorsements and certifications year after year after year, have eight years of experience in at-risk schools, data proving my special education students are growing leaps and bounds academically, behaviorally, and socially, and somehow the state and federal governments still insist I'm not qualified enough to teach - and somehow feel my less than $49,000 a year is an adequate salary for someone who works 60+ hours a week and who has a Master's degree and eight years experience. Yet, Mrs. DeVos, you are described by Wikipedia as an American businesswoman, philanthropist, and political campaign contributor and you are qualified for the position of Secretary of Education. Let us not forget you were privately educated, as well as the rest of your endowed family, which means you do not even have the experience of being a student of public education. So, what makes you qualified for the job?

Mrs. DeVos, I challenge you to step outside your comfort zone, like thousands of public school teachers do everyday, and get to know the kids who walk through the doors of public schools. I challenge you, like thousands of public school teachers do everyday, to stand in front of a group of starving, sleepy adolescents and engage them in learning. I challenge you, like thousands of public school teachers do everyday, to put the needs of the students first. I challenge you, like thousands of public school teachers do everyday, to pick up books and research strategies that are proven to work and differentiate them for every child's needs. I challenge you, to remain calm, put a smile on your face, and love a child who spits in your face or throws a desk at you, because they're angry about dad threatening mom at home. I challenge you, like thousands of public school teachers do everyday, to speak and act professionally toward parents who are addicts and neglect their children on a daily basis. I challenge you, like thousands of public school teachers do everyday, to make a visit to some of the homes students across America live in. I challenge you to step outside your comfort zone, like thousands of public school teachers do everyday, and spend 7 plus hours a day with children who are not your own and love them as though they are. 

Mrs. DeVos, I challenge you to take the job of Secretary of Education seriously. I challenge you to listen to the voices of those in trenches on a daily basis. I challenge you to join an army of public education teachers and combat for the leaders of tomorrow. I challenge you to fight - not just for the white students, not just for the able students, not just for the rich students, not just for the Christian students - but for ALL students.

Best Regards.

Comments

  1. Well said...I hope she sees this and takes it to heat. I have shared on social media and I hope others do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouraging words and support. I'm just expressing what's in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, PERFECTLY said! Thank you!!! Will share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent!!!
    13 of my 34 years of public school teaching were in a Title I school in Louisiana. No teachers should block the door from DeVos entering. She needs to be in our midst witnessing our days with our kids. If we taught all of those hard-core kids, we should be able to teach one pitifully under-qualified, naive bureaucrat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for expressing what nearly every public school teacher is feeling. I have been teaching special ed for nearly 35 yrs. Due to Florida graduation requirements, I have been teaching students with 60 and lower IQ's, biology, Algebra, and Geometry, so that they can pass the Alternate Assessments.We used to be able to teach them life and employability skills that they could really use. We can still give them some career prep, but not nearly enough. I retire at the end of this year. If it were not for the testing and graduation requirements we now have, I would remain a couple more years because I love the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the positive responses. I never intended for any of my blog posts to get quite the attention this one has. However, I'm happy I've been able to give a voice to so many empathetic individuals. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be in the classroom, but I do know I will never stop fighting for those who are.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts

pray. - Forgiveness

run. pray. - Grieve & Then Soar