teach. pray. - Oh Valentine's Day

As we all know, yesterday was Valentine's Day. Valentine's Day, in my eyes, is just another approach for colossal corporations to makes loads of profit. But, maybe, I'm just cynical.

I do, however, want to share my feelings about this day from a teacher point of view and from a wife point of view.

Teacher Nadia

February fourteenth is just another day in the classroom for Mrs. Granger. I do not buy Valentine's Day cards or gifts for my students, mainly because I have so many, but also because love isn't about stuff or candy. Let's be honest here, the cards get trashed and the candy gets eaten. Then, it's all over. 

I know it's fun for the kids to have parties and eat a bunch of sugar and hand out gifts (that profit all those colossal corporations), but it really isn't necessary. The sugary treats create an abundance of energy and belly aches - both of which can be challenging to deal with in elementary school. But, before you judge me and call me mean, I do give my students a smile, a hug, and a "Happy Valentine's Day." Guess what I receive in return? A REALLY big smile and the start to a really great day together.

I strive to fill my classroom with love on a daily basis. I strive to fill my classroom with fun on a daily basis. I strive to fill my classroom with compassion on a daily basis. I strive to fill my room with random treats for hard work on a daily basis. 

Yesterday, my students did reading and math lessons. I have very little time with each of my groups each day which means I have very little time to waste. What I did give my kids yesterday was: the gift of learning to read a new word; the gift of expanding their critical thinking skills; the gift of learning about numbers; the gift of learning how to write down their thoughts; the gift of common courtesy; the gift of confidence; the gift of nourishment; the gift of time well spent. All of these gifts will last them a lifetime.

Do I think all teachers should give up Valentine's Day celebrations? No. Do I think you are an awful teacher for filling up their bellies with sugar? No. Do I think you are wasting their time in school with all of this? No. They deserve a break every now and again. They also deserve to be showered with gifts from people who love them - because not all kids get that. What I do think is this. I think ALL teachers should celebrate their students every day with a sincere heart. I think ALL teachers should be genuine in ALL celebrations had in the classroom. I think all the gifts and fun should be given in a way that allows the students to connect with who their teacher is. I think it should all have a purpose in bringing the teacher and the students together as a family. It should be a time of watering roots, so the teacher student relationship grows deeper and stronger than ever (and if that means a party - party it up).

I celebrate by not making a big deal about it - because as a person and a wife I don't make a big deal about it. And, that's who I really am. 

Wife Nadia

Matt and I do not buy each other Valentine's Day gifts or go one Valentine's Day dates. Matt and I do not buy each other Christmas gifts. We do not do these things because we are both pretty low key people - and we feel it's a waste of money. Don't get me wrong, we buy each other gifts and do really nice things for one another - we just don't let the day on the calendar determine when we do it. Everyday is Valentine's Day for us - that's how we see it anyway. As for Christmas, we choose to spend our money on our families and on donations to others who have less than we do. 

We are childless, so every night is date night. Every morning is a gift, because we wake up next to each other. Yea, we do special stuff for our anniversary or our birthdays or just because we feel like making each other feel special. Surprises are fun. A few years ago, I bought Matt a new bike frame, because he had crashed and cracked his. For our paper anniversary, I had several pieces of his artwork framed. Those pieces are part of a gallery wall in our living room now. I gifted him with the travel bug, because I love to travel (and now he does too...most of the time). A year or so ago on a Friday night, he took me out to dinner, then we went for a couple drinks. He told me he felt like walking around downtown. We got to the Peace Center, and he started walking to the door. I stared at him with confusion. He pulled out tickets for Wicked. Surprise! One morning I was at the refrigerator and he had left me a note, "Today is the day to remind you I'll love you forever." Heart melted. When he knows I've had a bad day, he surprises me with ice creams or wine or Reese's. He has even ran 5K races with me and a Mud Run (and he loved the Mud Run). 

We have disagreements at times. We get irritated with each other's little habits sometimes. Life isn't always rosey and peachy and perfect. But, we always gift each other with appreciation and love. No matter the day.

Do I think all couples should stop celebrating Valentine's Day? No. Do I think couples who celebrate it are lame? No. Do I think you're wasting your time on Valentine's Day gifts and dates? No. Your significant other and you deserve to be showered with gifts and lots of love - because not all couples do that. What I do think is this. Be yourselves, love each other, and celebrate in ways that help you get to know one another better - no matter how long you've been together. Celebrate in ways that connect you on a deeper level. Celebrate in ways that are personal - show your significant other that you listen to their wants and needs every day. Celebrate life together - because you aren't guaranteed forever.

What teacher and wife Nadia have in common...

Be you. Let them be them. Find a way to connect the two. In all things you decide to do and celebrate - let it be out of genuine love, compassion, and kindness. Every day is a good day to spread love and to be loved. Live in love and relish it.


Comments

Most Popular Posts

teach. pray. - Dear Betsy DeVos

pray. - Forgiveness

run. pray. - Grieve & Then Soar