run. pray. - When the World Stops

Last Sunday, my dear friend, Allie, ran her longest distance ever, 10 miles, in preparation for her first half marathon on Labor Day weekend. We decided to run a half together, along with my friend (who also happens to be my cousin), in memory of Allie's father who passed away last October. To say it's an honor to go on this journey with Allie is an understatement. 

She spent the night at my house on Saturday, and my husband and I treated her to a home cooked, healthy meal. We popped out of bed bright and early Sunday morning, and I helped Allie prepare for the 10 miler. She was a trooper too. She agreed to take the hilly 10 mile route rather than the flat 10 mile route, because we agreed it would be better training for Shenandoah. 

We ate protein bars. We had our hydration water. We hit up the bathroom. We gathered our run nutrition. We stretched and warmed up our bodies. And, we hit the pavement. Thirty seconds jogging. Thirty seconds walking. We stuck to these thirty second intervals the entire 10 miles. When she felt she needed a rest, we walked an extra thirty seconds or so, and then got back to the jogging. 

Around mile seven, we stopped for a bathroom and water refill break before heading the three hilly miles back home. Right about the time we stepped out of the bathrooms, to start our last three miles, Allie's watch beeped. See, Allie wears her dad's watch daily. It beeps every so often. I'm sure there's a pattern or schedule to the beeps, but regardless it beeps. I had not heard a beep at all during our run. But, it beeped pretty much as soon as we hit the trail to head home. And, Allie's response was, "So, I guess that's Steve telling me I better get these last three miles done." It warmed my heart to see her connecting with her dad even though he wasn't physically there.

Those last three miles were a challenge for Allie-especially those God forsaking hills the last mile home. It had gotten really warm too, and I can't imagine the thoughts that were pacing Allie's mind. She probably wanted to strangle me. But, she kept pushing through, and I was proud of her. When we got the top of the last LONG hill, we were less than a quarter mile from my house. As we approached the Methodist church a few blocks from my house, Allie stopped and said, "Nan, funny the church sign says that." The sign read, God only requires me to take one step at a time. I told her it was Steve looking out for his girl, so we stopped and took a selfie in front of it. Then, we jogged the last couple of blocks to my front door.

I don't know how Allie felt, but I was inundated with joy. It was like the world stopped spinning as I watched her take those last few strides. This girl had overcome a great big challenge, unexpectedly losing her best friend (her father), and their connection was so powerful, that even in death, he was there carrying her home. 

And, these are the moments that solidify my belief that God is love and His love has called all of us into existence. 

Then, Monday happened. I don't know if you heard or not, but a solar eclipse happened on Monday. Greenville, SC was in line of totality. Every hotel in town was booked solid and millions flocked to the area to view this solar eclipse. Traffic was at its all time worse, so they said. Fortunately, I didn't experience one ounce of the traffic headache. 

We were allowed to leave work early, so we could watch the eclipse with our friends and family. My sister and her friend met me at my house around 1:00 p.m., and with our handy dandy NASA approved solar eclipse glasses we could already see the tiniest slither of the moon covering the sun. We sat around my kitchen table drinking wine, in the middle of the afternoon, reading about the eclipse. Two and a half minutes of total darkness at 2:28 p.m. The scientists were saying animals may start acting funny, the crickets would start chirping, the eclipse would make these crescent moon shadows on the ground, and the diamond ring would be a spectacular sight. We were getting so excited.

Around 2:00 p.m., we walked up to the elementary school across the street from the Methodist church Allie and I had stopped at on Sunday. At this spot, there were no trees obstructing our view and several neighbors had come to hang out and view it here too. We chatted with everyone while putting on our glasses every few minutes to see the progress. As the time got closer to 2:28, it started looking like dusk and the street lights started coming on. Shortly after that, the crickets started chirping. We all had our glasses on looking up to the sky and watched the moon enshroud the sun. 

We witnessed the spectacle of the diamond ring and for two and a half minutes we were able to stare at the total eclipse without eye protection. I was speechless once my eyes were uncovered. It was one of the most divine sights I have ever seen. In those two and a half minutes, the world felt like it stopped again and fell silent. Everyone around me was in awe of its mysterious beauty.

For two and a half minutes, millions of people stopped their busy lives to look up into the sky, together in unison. For two and a half minutes, millions of people stopped their self-centered whining and bickering to look up into the sky in unison. For two and a half minutes, we ALL stopped life and admired the same phenomenon. No hateful words were spewed. No hateful glares were given. Most of us were rendered speechless.

In my opinion, a divine message was being communicated. Darkness can overshadow the brightest light. But, if we can find love and grace within our deepest selves, the light will shine brighter blessing ALL of us with a more meaningful life. Be the light that illuminates the darkness. 

And, these are the moments that solidify my belief that God is love and His love has called all of us into existence. 

Oh I say my prayers in the morning
I get up in the afternoon
And I’m sailing out to no one but you
I scream to the gods above me
Here we go, let me know

Father of mine let me sing you a song
You’ve been singing in the rain
You’ve been singing so long
And I wanna know could I ever be saved?
If I lived a life of lies and a life of love today

Love makes it easy
It makes it all right
Love makes it easy
It makes it all right

-The Revivalists, Men Amongst Mountains






Comments

Most Popular Posts

teach. pray. - Dear Betsy DeVos

pray. - Forgiveness

run. pray. - Grieve & Then Soar