run: Backstory to Present

In 2009, I was finishing up graduate school and searching for an adventure to occupy my last free summer. A friend told me about an organization, Bike and Build, and after researching it and realizing it would be the last summer I could participate, due to my age, I signed up. The goal: spend the summer cycling across America to raise money and awareness for affordable housing. 

I failed. 


A month and a half prior to leaving, I fell (learning to clip in) and fractured my scaphoid bone. It didn't heal in time for the trip. In retrospect, the universe was on my side, and I'm thankful for the change of plans. Instead of pedaling across the country, I pedaled my way from Richmond, VA to Philadelphia, PA - 750 miles in two weeks. It was truly a life changing experience. So, what does this have to do with running? The organization introduced me to some inspiring individuals and one of them introduced me to Team in Training. 


Shortly after arriving home, I signed up with Team in Training to run my first half marathon, Disney's inaugural Wine and Dine. I had no idea what was coming for me. Training was so hard. My legs hurt all the time. My feet and toes constantly had blisters. I was slow and sluggish. Yet, I loved every second of it. The runner's high is real, folks. Plus, runners are really awesome people.


During my time with Team in Training, I met some unbelievable human beings. My mentor was (and still is) a cancer survivor, and our 2010 team ran in his honor. His name is Jerry, and he touched my life. When I wanted to give up, his story would run through my mind over and over again. To this day, when it hurts and I feel like stopping, I think of Jerry. Jerry is a BEAST!


Crossing the finish line of that first half, I almost threw up on Minnie Mouse and was terribly nauseated. It was awful. My time sucked, 2:45ish, I think. But, what did I do shortly after? I signed up for another one. 


Since 2010, I have completed 7 half marathons, 1 full marathon, numerous 5Ks and 10Ks, a Mud Run, and a Duathlon. I'm by no means a running expert or competitive runner. Running is a hobby and a competition with myself. A couple years ago, I started having issues with my hips and lower back. After countless doctor visits and no answers, I was afraid I'd have to give it up. It was heartbreaking to think about. 


Running had become a part of who I was. It was a journey that helped me cope with some deep rooted conflicts, and it allowed me to open up. Running got me off anti-anxiety medication. It uplifted my spirit. It made me feel worthy and accomplished. I couldn't bare the thought of giving it up. I'm sure my husband couldn't bare the thought either. I'm a much nicer human when I'm exercising. Anyway, in March I decided to try one more thing. I signed up for a running coach and joined an endurance team, Without Limits. 


The first day of practice, I learned my running form sucked...bad. I was causing my own injuries. Since joining in March, I've learned Coach Hammersmith is a dingus and so is everyone he coaches (I'm not being mean here. He is and we are. It's an understanding.) But, he's helped me. I've been injury free. I've gotten stronger. I've gotten faster. I've gotten healthier. I've met encouraging teammates. I've gained a little confidence (the fast people still intimidate me...but it's not about them - it's about me). I'm running again and it feels so fantastic. Sure, I get lazy, but I'm always thankful to have the option.


In June, I ran the Yellowstone Half Marathon, which was a bucket list thing, and two weeks later I ran the Mellow Mushroom Half Marathon in Anderson, SC (awesome because it raised money for Autism Awareness). I surpassed my goal for both races. The Yellowstone Half Marathon experience is a post all of its own...it's coming, along with a couple others, so stay tuned. #iamwithoutlimits

Comments

  1. Awesome post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to see you pain-free! Thanks for documenting your journey. You will help more than you know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts

teach. pray. - Dear Betsy DeVos

pray. - Forgiveness

run. pray. - Grieve & Then Soar