pray. - High Waist Shorts and Female Parts

Without failure every year, September to November push my fight-or-flight response to its absolute max. And, this year is no different. This could turn into a public school system venting session, but I'll spare you. Instead, let's talk about wardrobes.

A few weeks ago, my thirty-four-year-old self attended a two-day music festival in Atlanta with my twenty-one-year-old sister. I've been longing for a good music festival and this line-up excited me. Kendrick Lamar was one of the headlining acts, and well, I'm a Kendrick Lamar fan. Not to mention, he made history this year! He was the first artist out of the classical and jazz genres to win the Pulitzer Prize for his album DAMN. So, yea, I wasn't going to miss it, and I didn't. I spent hours standing in a dusty field smashed against sweaty, drunk, disgusting bodies to see his performance. It was worth it. I had the honor of seeing a historical Pulitzer Prize winner unite a mass of diverse creatures. Legendary.

But, that's not why I'm writing this. I knew going into this festival I'd be one of the "oldest" attendees. That fact didn't bother me. Though I have an adult mentality in regards to being a responsible and considerate human being, I feel really young at heart. What I wasn't prepared for was the amount of @$$ I'd see. Everywhere - high waisted shorts, butt cheeks, and bralettes. One girl's outfit was so scandalous I saw her who-ha when she bent herself over to sit down. Girl...have some class. Nobody wants to see your world like that. Not to mention...where are your underwear in this nasty, throw up, spilled beer, bacteria-ridden environment?

Now, my mama claims I used to wear short shorts. She's right. I did. I'm tall with long legs and often shorts that appear a tasteful length on typical ladies appeared short, short on me. However, I can guarantee no one ever got a glimpse of my private parts due to my shorts being too short. 

Anyway, at brunch Sunday morning my thirty-something friend and I were discussing wardrobe choices we had been observing. It sparked some disagreements between us and my young, stylish sister. I made the comment that some of these outfits presented the girls in a not so classy light. I admit I was being a bit judgmental and forming opinions based on outfits. And, I shouldn't do that. For all I know, some of these ladies were as pure as Virgin Mary and as sweet as Mother Teresa. But, neither of those ladies were going around flashing their nether regions either. 

I agree with my sister - fashion shouldn't dictate one's perception of another. But, it does. And, quite frankly, some fashion is right out offensive and disgusting to me. So, where do we as a society draw the line?  At some point, all the individuals in the general population should be considered when you are getting dressed to go out in public. There have to be parameters. Wear your transparent shirt and sport your nipples in a club environment or on the catwalk. I support your creative expressions through fashion. But, spare the general public. I'm an adult. I've seen nipples, butt cheeks, and you know other things. But, if I had kids, I'd be livid. Childhood innocence is dying at a quick rate these days, and I'd want my kid to revel in their innocence as long as possible, and I wouldn't want some stranger walking the streets to a music festival to ruin my child's innocence on an afternoon stroll to the park. 

Oddly enough, my sweet sister was offended by an intense make-out session going on next to her at the music festival...I wasn't offended at all. They were expressing their love (maybe lust) for one another, but I'd rather see affection like that than a strangers privates jumping out of their clothes. And, yes, I realize I keep mentioning young women and their clothing choices. I'm not being sexist, maybe prudish, but not sexist. It just so happens I didn't see any penises popping out of chubbys, therefore, the young men's clothing choices didn't warrant complaints from me, other than, there were a LOT of chubbys.

So, young people, you don't have to give all your secrets away to be sexy or to be seen. Sexy comes from within. It starts by loving and respecting yourself. Class - well, it's classic. It doesn't go out of style. Find some. Hold onto it. Nurture it. It'll get better with age. 
In a sea of chubbys and high waist shorts...





Comments

Most Popular Posts

teach. pray. - Dear Betsy DeVos

pray. - Forgiveness

run. pray. - Grieve & Then Soar