teach. pray. - Connections=Successes

As a teacher, for me, my biggest successes are the connections I make with my students. Not test scores. Not grades. Not reading levels. Connections. 

And, for those who have read nearly all my posts, you know I have a soft heart for the hard to love ones, and I probably always will. However, I will hold kids accountable, and I will have them take responsibility for their actions. I will do my part in teaching them how to right their wrongs and how to learn from their mistakes. I will do my part in teaching them how to be mindful and thoughtful with their choices. And, I will always treat them with dignity and respect. After all, kids are human, and like us adult humans, I've learned they appreciate transparency as well. 

Let me tell you a story about a boy. He's in trouble a good bit. He has a bad attitude. So, automatically, I'm drawn to him, and I wanted to connect with him. The problem was I didn't know how, and one day, when I didn't even mean to, I connected with him. He had been in a lot of trouble and very emotional. One afternoon, as I walked out of the door with car riders, I happened to stand right next to him. It had been one of his worst days, and quite frankly, a pretty terrible week for him. I said hello. I asked how he was doing. His response (he never looked at me-only stared forward), "Not very good. Things could be a lot better." So, I put my hand lightly on his shoulder, looked him in the eyes, and said, "I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything I can do? Would you mind if I prayed for you or sent out some positive vibes for you?" He looked at me with a mixture of shock and confusion. So, I said, "Don't worry. I'll only do it if you say it's ok. Is it ok with you?" Without saying a word, he shook his head yes. From there, I wished him a good afternoon, and we parted ways.

When I saw him the next morning, I made eye contact with him and said hello - and every morning after that. I went out of my way to speak to him just to say hello and to send a smile his way. After a week or so, one afternoon as he was walking out to his car, he popped his head in my door, smiled, and wished me a good afternoon. That good afternoon meant the world to me. And, just today, we spoke to each other as we walked side by side in the hallway, and we joked, and he smiled and laughed. We have made a connection. 

Will this simple connection change the course of this kid's life? Maybe. Maybe not. 

Will it change his behavioral choices in school or in life? Maybe. Maybe not. 

Will it propel him onto a path of academic success for the future? Maybe. Maybe not. 

Will he remember that small interaction we had as we walked out of the school building side by side? Maybe. Maybe not.

I could only dream and hope that that one act of kindness would make that big of an impact. But, let's be realistic - it most likely will not.

What I do know is I made an impact that afternoon when I extended my prayers and positivity to him. What I do know is his eyes look softer when he speaks to me in the hallway. What I do know is he never chose to wish me a good afternoon before our connection in the car line. What I do know is he never cared to listen to me in the lunchroom prior to our interaction that one afternoon - now when I walk by his lunch table he stops talking, looks me in the eyes, and waits for me to speak. 

I don't know that I'm making a long-term difference in his life. But, for now, I am making some kind of difference in his day - even if it's just providing him with one smiling face throughout his stormy days.

Connections are powerful. Connections create bridges between communities. Connections create networks between planets. Connections run electricity and power our world. But, human connections, they can change the trajectory of history. 

So, yea, my biggest successes will always be the connections I make with my students. 




Comments

Most Popular Posts

teach. pray. - Dear Betsy DeVos

pray. - Forgiveness

run. pray. - Grieve & Then Soar