teach. - Step Right Up

Step right up! Push yourself to do something new at least once each quarter. Challenge yourself to do it bigger each time. Dig deep for that inner creativity and let your personality shine through your teaching. When you step it up so will your students.

Two weeks ago, I had to make sure my students were going to be prepared for an upcoming unit assessment on point of view, perspective, author's word choice, tone, and mood. I taught the unit over four weeks and dug deep for creative ways to build a foundation while integrating and intertwining all the standards I had taught so far. My heart is so happy when previously taught standards naturally spiral with currently teaching ones. My heart is also happy when students remember grade level academic vocabulary...but that's a whole other blog.

Anyway, back to getting students ready for this unit assessment. I'm always trying to find ways to keep kids engaged, motivated, and having fun (especially so, when a long holiday break is approaching and a field trip). I knew I'd have to come up with something super enticing to get them to complete a study guide and actually study each night for homework, and somehow, I came up with an idea. 


On Monday, I introduced students to my very own Carnival Games. I created a Google Slides presentation outlining the expectations and rewards students would receive for meeting the expectations (rewards were Mustang Bucks, which are like school money, house points, and extra points on their final test grade). Then, I allowed students to strategically pick their teams. Being at a title one school, I'm blessed with a small class size, so there were four teams of four. Once teams were formed, students started working on part one of the study guide. They read a story and had to answer 5 questions. I rotated around the room and listened to conversations, especially since one expectation was to keep their conversations on topic. If every team member contributed to the conversation and the team got the correct answers, then their team earned a chance to compete in the day's game. Monday's game was a simple game of knock down. All you need is Solo cups and small bean bags. I've never seen kids so excited about knocking down plastic cups.


Monday night, students had to complete the second short story and answer four questions. On Tuesday during class, they met with their team to discuss their answers. If they disagreed on an answer they had to talk it out and figure out who had the correct answer and why. The conversations that were had were amazing! Every team was able to participate in the day's game once the questions were reviewed as a class. The catch was: only teams who had 100% participation in homework completion were able to earn points for their overall team's goal. Since every team was competing for the ultimate goal, (a brown paper bag with a pack of microwavable popcorn, a ring pop, and a slip of paper they could turn in for five points on a low grade) you can imagine how upset they were when someone didn't do their part. By the way, they had no idea what would be in the brown paper bag until they won it. Tuesday's game was bag toss. Not as exciting as knock down, but they still had fun. All you need is four plastic color bowls, which I got at the dollar store, and small bean bags. Line up the bowls. The closest bowl is worth the least amount of points. Each bowl after is worth more. Students would throw the bean bags and try to ring the bowls for points.

Tuesday night, students had to complete their study guide. The last part of the study guide was a matching section with vocabulary words which I've been drilling in their heads and trying my hardest to get them to use in their conversations and answers in class. It was the same routine. Students had to discuss their answers, figure out who was correct and why, and everyone had to complete their homework in order to earn points. On Wednesday, every student came in with their homework completed. They did NOT like how it felt to let their team down on Tuesday. Wednesday's game was inflatable bowling (thanks to Amy, my co-worker, for that). 
Wednesday night's homework was simply to study. Students had they study guide to look over, Quizlet flashcards, and pictures of anchor charts and work completed in class on their iPad. We discussed study skills and study strategies. The test was on Thursday. When they came in on Thursday, they were ready, and they worked SO hard! The results were accurate to their ability levels, and I was a proud teacher.

On Friday, we celebrated their hard work and grades, and I gave them the "free time" they had earned with the blurt bean jar. When they returned from related, my classroom had been transformed. We had a family Thanksgiving celebration which would have never happened without family & friends donating time and food. The kids freaked out when they walked in and saw the room. To some, "free time" may sound like a waste of class time. To me, this celebration was everything. We got to know each other. We celebrated and exchanged gratitude for one another. I was able to shower them with love. They got to see how proud I was of their hard work. And, these kids, they glow with pride when I'm proud of them and break on the inside when I'm disappointed. They work for me, because they care about the relationship I've built with them. For some of my students, this classroom is the closest they have to a real family. And, I'll do whatever it takes to show them what a real family is because every human deserves family.





Comments

Most Popular Posts

teach. pray. - Dear Betsy DeVos

pray. - Forgiveness

run. pray. - Grieve & Then Soar