pray. - Mystical Moments:Why I Believe in God

This blog topic is not on my list of ideas to write about. This blog post came to me today after a visit with my sister-in-law, Jenny. As I have mentioned in previous blogs, I made a promise to my God to be more present and to listen to His calling, and this blog post is a calling. So, I will start by telling you a few stories I shared with Jenny today.


Story One


My brother, Miles, has been on my mind an incredible amount of time lately. It started around my birthday, and this year it was really hard to celebrate my birthday without feeling absolutely emotional and quite frankly sad. The yearning to see Miles and talk to him hasn't been this strong in a really long time! 


His birthday is May 24th and mine is May 25th, as you all know, if you read the blog post about it. On my birthday, I woke up feeling pretty heartbroken, because the desire to spend it with Miles was so bewitching. It was one of the last few days of school, so I decided I'd take my morning at a little slower pace, and since it was my birthday, I'd treat myself to a coffee from Starbucks (a student had given me a gift card-extra credit for him, haha). I hopped in my car and started heading toward Starbucks. When I reached the first clear view of the sky, I spotted a rainbow. It was the most perfect rainbow - every single color was clearly visible. It made me grin from ear to ear, because I knew it was Miles celebrating with me. This perfect rainbow is not the first one that has been sent to me. Over the years, I've spotted this perfect rainbow several times, and it's always during tough times when I need Miles's brotherly love. You can't convince me otherwise, it's him sending me his heavenly hug. And, every time I see this rainbow the lyrics of a Jack Johnson song come to mind:



I woke up this morning
A rainbow filled the sky
Yes I woke up this morning
A rainbow filled the sky
Well that was God telling me
Everything is gonna be alright

Well so long good friends
When will we meet again
I said so long good friends
When will we meet again
Well I don't know, I don't know
But I guess I'ma see you then


Story Two

Jenny was sharing some memories with me about an old neighbor of her's, who turns out to be one of God's angels, but I won't get into that, and who is on his deathbed. As she was reminiscing, she mentioned birdhouses and bluebirds. She made a statement about bluebirds being a symbol of happiness. To be honest, this was the first I've heard of this symbolism, and this statement prodded at me, and so I told her this story.

About a week or two before Miles passed some carinals and canaries showed up in our yard. In our breakfast nook was a bay window, and every day when we sat down for dinner or just to chat, we'd see these birds pecking away under the tree. We had never noticed them before. So, one day Miles decided to take a picture of them on a disposable camera we had sitting around. Once Miles passed, the birds continued to show up, but now, there was one blue bird with them. So, my mom took another picture of them. When we got the pictures back, not one bird could be seen in any of the pictures. It was as if they were never there. I'm positive the cardinals and canaries were prophets from God, and the blue bird, well, it showed up once Miles passed, and Miles had the brightest blue eyes ever.

When I got home today, I looked up the symbolism of a cardinal and a canary, since I had learned the blue bird was a symbol of happiness. This is what I found. 

From reference.com: The red cardinal bird holds special spiritual meaning for Christians as they symbolize everlasting vitality (the faith in the blood of Christ as the birds are red in color). 

From reference.com that led me to the website universeofsymbolism.com: The canary spirit animal appears to you with a sweet song that awakens healing energies...the canary brings fresh air and new light, like the healing energy of dawn at the break of day, you feel new inspiration, hope, and energy of joyful light, alas a new cycle begins, as you begin to tell a new story.



Story Three

On my wedding day, it rained. My wedding was outdoors on top of a mountain with no plan B. Naturally, I freaked a little. But, everyone kept telling me rain on your wedding day meant good luck. So, I didn't let it get me down, because after all, I was marrying my best friend, rain or shine, and that was all that mattered.

We decided to get married in the mountains because that's where Matt met my family for the first time, and it's where he proposed. Plus, it was symbolic for me, because my dad was born and raised in the mountains. He is also buried on top of a small mountain in North Georgia. So, getting married on top of a mountain, for me, was a way to include my father in my big day, since he wasn't there to give me away.

That rain I was telling you about earlier, it stopped right before the ceremony started. It started again as soon as everyone was under the tent for the reception dinner, and it stopped again when it was time for the band to play. As the day went on, the sun started to set. The sunset was so beautiful everyone left the band to take pictures in front of it. People took pictures for so long, the band thought no one was listening to them and packed up early. The lady who owns this piece of land told me that was the longest sunset she had ever experienced up there. It was no coincidence - my dad was shining his light on his little girl.

Ladies and gentlemen, I share these stories with you because mystical moments like these, and the love Matt & I are fortunate to have found and share, are proof to me that God exist and loves us. 

I am not sold on organized religion and mainstream, mega churches. I do not go to church each Sunday. But, I do hear His calling. I do feel His love in my life. I do recognize and appreciate His grace. I read about His word, not just the Christian interpretation of it, but as many interpretations as I can. I walk out into nature and feel closer to God than I ever have in a church. Music speaks to my soul. And, I do believe the words Michael Franti sings:

Life is too short to make just one decision
Music's too large for just one station
Love is too big for just one nation and
God is too big for just one religion



I believe my God loves, and He loves deep, and He loves everyone. But, this isn't a blog post about my religious views, this is a blog post about the intricacies of God's mystical moments. Be still, be quiet, and  be present enough to see and hear them. These mystical moments will change you forever and strengthen your spirituality more than anything.

Comments

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts

teach. pray. - Dear Betsy DeVos

pray. - Forgiveness

run. pray. - Grieve & Then Soar