teach. - Google Forms: Making Life Easier

IEPs will be the death of me. They are the LEAST favorite part of my job, though, I know they are needed. Writing them can be time consuming and gathering data from "everybody and their mama" can be aggravating, but Google Forms have made my resource teacher life so much easier!

In years past, I'd get teacher input through a hard copy feedback form (documentation, documentation). Then, among the thousands of things classroom teachers have to keep up with and complete, it would get lost, or I'd have to be the annoying one hounding them down for the form. Last year, I changed it up, and it was incredibly easier. GOOGLE FORMS, people!

I created a quick check list in Google Forms based on elementary standards and foundation skills elementary students need in order to be successful in reading, writing, math, and social skills. Anytime, I needed teacher feedback for a transfer meeting, initial placement, or annual review I'd share the Google Form through email and like magic I received the feedback within 24 hours, in most cases. The form practically writes the present levels section for me. Check out the pictures below. These are only snapshot examples of the form. If you're interested, I'm happy to share a link which will allow you to make a copy of the form and edit it to fit your needs. Just leave me a comment. 






I promise this simple form will make life as a special education, IEP writing teacher more efficient.

Google Forms has many other uses as well. Below, I'll list five other ways Google Forms can help you stay organized and save you some time. And, hey, we can all use more time.

1. Google Form for Classroom Library 

Students are always asking to borrow books. I hate saying no, but I also HATE losing books. At one point in time, I used a paper check in/check out system. However, most of my students do not have the best penmanship and some of my younger ones have a hard time writing in all the information. So, I created a simple Google Form for this process. Then, I created a QR code for the link to the Google Form, and the QR code is laminated and hot glued to my bookshelf. I receive an email anytime a student checks a book in or out. It saves paper and time...keeping in mind my school is a 1:1 school.




2. Google Form for Behavior Reflection

As I mentioned before, writing is not the biggest strength for my students nor is it their favorite activity to do. Therefore, when a behavior reflection is in order and they realize it requires writing, the problematic behavior intensifies, and well, why fight that battle? The purpose of a behavior reflection is for the student to reflect on their behavior, consider replacement behaviors, and calm down, so they can return to the group. Why not take the writing out of it? So, they CAN reflect on their current situation and problematic behavior rather than trying to escape something they do not prefer, and well, you know, the vicious cycle continues. Google Forms can be printed and emailed very easily for documentation purposes. As a matter of fact, the PBIS committee at my school has discussed making our office referral a Google Form.

**No worries if students are below average readers. Items can be highlighted on the iPad and along with the cut/paste options is a speak option. Choose the speak option, & Siri will read it for you.**

 I even used Google Forms to get student feedback regarding reward preferences. If we punish - we must also reward.


 


3. Google Form for Receipt of IEP Accommodations

This year, I ran a report in Enrich for each grade level, printed accommodations, placed them in a folder for each teacher, placed the folders in their mailbox, and sent out a Google Form. It saved me a lot of running around. In the past, I hand delivered accommodation pages and had teachers sign and date the bottom of each one. Then, I made copies for my records and gave the classroom teacher a copy. This process took a lot of time. One year, I tried making a spreadsheet and had teacher's sign the spreadsheet, but it didn't save me any time. This year's process with the Google Form was much quicker and much less of a hassle.


 


4. Google Form for Checking Out Materials

Honestly, this is one I have not yet tried, but it sounds good in theory, and it will look a lot like my classroom library form. Being a resource teacher, I'm often a person people come to for ideas, input, and resources. I'm constantly letting classroom teachers borrow books, manipulatives, headphones, flexible seating options, and who knows what else. Then, one day, I need the borrowed item and have NO clue who has it. Also, I like to keep inventory of all my yoga balls, stationary bike pedals, wobble stools, and bitty bottom cushions. Of course, my name is on all of this stuff, but the organized chaos of a teacher's life gets unorganized sometimes. I look forward to using a Google Form to help me keep up with who has what.

5. Google Form for BIP Documentation

I cannot take credit for this idea. A colleague from a local middle school told me about it. And again, this is one I have not tried, but plan to try in the future. So far this year, I do not have any students with Behavior Intervention Plans. My colleague showed me a simple Google Form she sends to teachers quarterly, or whenever it's needed, in order to document implementation of the behavior intervention plan as well as the number of times the behavior occurs in a specified time frame.

I'd love to read your feedback and ideas. I hope some of you comment, so we can get some collaboration going.

Cheers to a more efficient tomorrow.

Comments

  1. I'd love a copy of the first google form (gen ed teacher input)! My email is cooka@apps.anderson1.org
    Thanks!!
    -Amy Cook

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added you as a collaborator. You should be able to make a copy and edit it to fit your needs. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts

teach. pray. - Dear Betsy DeVos

pray. - Forgiveness

run. pray. - Grieve & Then Soar